Tuesday, July 26, 2011

guilt-free chocolate chip cookies

For the past few days I have had a serious hankerin' for some rich and gooey chocolate chip cookies. So I tried...and tried....and tried to ignore it. I mean, I only wanted one, so why would I make 2 dozen? That, my friends, is dangerous when I am the only one in my house who actually eats these delicious baked goodies. (Sad, I know...)

To ease my guilty conscience, I set out to make the "healthiest" batch of chewy chocolate chip cookie goodness. With a little help from Betty Crocker, this is what I came up with:


Guilt-free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened (I use Smart Balance Omega-3 buttery sticks)
**Check the consistency of your dough when everything is mixed together. I wanted my cookies extra chewy, so I added about 1/4 cup of melted butter at the end.**
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. wheat germ
- 2 tbsp. flax seed
- 2 cups 60% caco bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Mix sugars, butter, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, wheat germ and flax seed (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8-11 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

4. Grab a glass of milk (preferably from your local creamery if you are ever so lucky to have one by you) and enjoy!


Here's a peek at my finished vanilla. I'd like it to be darker, so next time I think I'll add an extra vanilla bean to the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. wow your cookies look PERFECT! I'd love to come share a dozen. :)

    ReplyDelete