Monday, April 11, 2011

vanilla goodness.

2 posts in 2 days? Watch out blog-world. Actually, this post is coming sooner than expected. 1. My vanilla beans came in the mail today! 2. I am really looking for any excuse to use my new camera. (drool...)

If you're like me, you dread running out of vanilla extract. I haaate spending $7 on those teeeeny bottles. So when I came across a blog that had instructions for making your own vanilla extract, I felt like the heavens parted, and knew I had to try it!

After hunting through the spice aisles at Wal-Mart, Publix, and even Publix Greenwise, I decided to venture into Whole Foods where I finally found whole vanilla beans for a whopping $13.00.
For two.

Amazon to the rescue! The instructions call for 3 vanilla beans per cup of alcohol, and I was somehow able to find 7 beans for 6 bucks. (Including shipping!) The downside to this homemade vanilla extravaganza? It takes 2 months for the vanilla to be ready. Looks like I'll have to settle for store-bought for the next few batches of cookies or muffins.

Take a peek at the process. It was really easy to make, and aside from waiting a week for my vanilla beans to arrive, it only took me about 15 min. to make. (Leaving time for pictures, of course.)



No comments:

Post a Comment