Wednesday, April 6, 2011

breakfast for dinner

We've all been there....
Staring at the refrigerator...waiting....waiting....waiting. As if we really think some delicious dish will appear if we keep staring.

My go-to "meal" when this happens is usually cereal. And believe me, I've gone through 1-2 boxes in a week when I find myself in a food rut.

Tonight, however, since I already had my bowl of cereal for a mid-afternoon snack, I decided to go for a quick upgrade to Aunt Jemima's instant pancakes. The result was scrumptious.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Pumpkin Pancakes
1 cup Aunt Jemima's whole wheat pancake mix
1 cup skim milk
1 egg
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 tbsp. ground flax seed
1 tbsp. sliced almonds (for garnish)
drizzle of raw honey for topping

1. Mix all ingredients. Allow 2-3 minutes for batter to thicken.
2. Pour batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Flip twice.
3. When pancakes are done, top with sliced almonds, and drizzle with honey.

1 comment:

  1. Becky, I was just having this conversation with a group people last week. Nothing better than breakfast for dinner - especially when it's of the warm and delicious variety.

    ReplyDelete