Sunday, April 3, 2011

sunday project: whole wheat blueberry scones

Step into my local Spanish market, and what will you encounter? Vibrant colored fresh fruits and veggies. Maneuvering through small crowded aisles. The feeling that you have stepped right into another country. Spanish music blaring through the speakers. The thrill I get from setting my heaping basket of produce on the counter and hearing the clerk say, "$12.77" for what surely would cost well over that amount at a traditional grocery store, makes me appreciate this local gem even more.

On the list of yummies from the market yesterday was organic blueberries. (For just $1.50, I might add...) I couldn't wait to pop some of those bad boys in my mouth for a sweet snack, so they were the first to be washed. Needless to say, I was disappointed when I tried them and they made my face turn Quasimodo from the sourness of them.

Solution? Bake with them, of course!

As I was perusing through the blog-o-sphere this wonderful Sunday morning, I stumbled across a perfect recipe for whole wheat blueberry scones. I don't know why, but I've always been intimidated to try making scones. They have always seemed so.....sophisticated. Either way, I decided to cross my fingers and hope for the best! Thankfully they were rather easy, and just as tasty!

Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones (adapted from this recipe)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup skim milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons yogurt (I used french vanilla)
1 teaspoon high-quality vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup rolled oats


 Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. You don't want any of this goodness being left behind. :)
 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon.


3. Cut butter into your flour mixture using your fingers or two knives. (I found that your fingers work best! Give yourself a little workout.)
4.  In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, yogurt, and the vanilla extract.


5. Add the liquid mixture to the flour-butter mixture, and stir until just combined. Stir in the blueberries.


6. Spread the oats over your work surface. (Reserve 1/4 cup of oats.)



7. Place your dough on top of the oats, forming a disk shape. Pat the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness.



8. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of oats onto the top of the disk.


9. Grease a large knife with cooking spray. Cut the dough disk into 8 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.


10. Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes, or until they are light golden brown. Serve warm.



 See? Piece of cake! Or um.....scone. :)











1 comment:

  1. Way to take the plunge on the blog! :) I'll add you to my reader list. Looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete